Well, here we go again. We know what goes on here by now - set a common theme and a bunch of rules and judging criteria tailored to it. The winner is the one who makes the best map featuring the theme. Now, I'm not asking for anything big or extravagent, because you'll only have three weeks
to make your map. Maps will be judged by me or anyone I deem fit to judge the maps.October's Theme
: HorrorWe all saw this one coming... zombies, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, the living dead, undead, redead... you scream it, you got it. Give me some sort of scary horror map. From haunted houses to killer mouses, the theme is open on this one!Guidelines
» Must be an original map not made prior to the contest. Steal a map or send in an old one and I'll eat your children.
» No map dimensions larger than 192x192.
» No map over 666kb.
» Any number of players acceptable.
» No team projects.
» No modded maps (SCMLoader, etc).
» You may submit up to three entries, but only the highest scoring entry will be placed and recieve a prize.
» No entry fees.
» Feel free to protect your map. The playing end will be emphasized more than the creation end. 95% of the maps are never opened in an editor.DEADLINE: Maps are due at 12:01 AM EST on October 31st, Eastern Standard Time (EST). This means all maps must be in before Halloween.Submitting...You may submit any amount of copies of a map, and the last valid one recieved will the one judged for the contest.
1. PM me the map as an attachment.
2. Attach the map to a post here (I download all attachments that seem like contest entries from this thread).
3. Attach the map to another post or topic and PM me the link or post a link here.
4. PM me a link to the map in the DLDB.
5. PM or post me a link to your map on some external host.
(let's hope the attachment bug is fixed by then
(10) - How well does the map fit the theme? Something premade with a few text changes (ie, your forest map from last month which you didn't enter with "ZOMBIE TREE" isn't a good idea). This is no longer a static black and white 0 or 10 rating, there will be a range. The map will now be graded on how important the theme is to the central ideas of the map. A map scoring 0 on this won't be graded further, regardless of how well it fits. Fun
(25) - Most of the time, the deciding factor in contest entries. Important for me as I'm playing the map. Am I running around having a good time, or watching a unit talk to itself in a movie? Are there huge bugs that prevent play of the maps? Are there cool new systems and spells and difficulty levels and such things to keep the game interesting? Replay value is a plus for this score. If I ever go to this map again, is it going to be to play it over and over and give to my friends or to delete the scm/scx?Aesthetics and Professionalism
(15) - Did you use one type of terrain tile and no text color? Are there mispellings distracting me at every turn with some poorly made triggers? Hopefully you can create something that looks and feels decent. I'm not asking for extensive extended terrain or hundreds of sprites, a map that seems well-made should score well. On the subject of professionalism, please PLAYTEST your maps before submission
. Nothing looks dumber than a map that obviously hasn't been tested. Having lots of bugs will definitely lower your score here.Prizes
Yeah, you thought I'd just make you do this for fun? Prestiege? Honor? HAH!First place
: 800 mineralsSecond place
: 400 mineralsThird place
: 200 mineralsFirst, Second, and Third place entries all go into the Map Spotlight on the front page.Noteworthy Mention*
: 100 minerals
*to be given at my discretion. Nobody has to win these.