Once more... we know what goes on here by now - set a common theme and a bunch of rules and judging criteria tailored to it. The winner is the one who makes the best map featuring the theme. Now, I'm not asking for anything big or extravagent, because we're starting late and you'll only have two weeks
to make your map. Maps will be judged by me or anyone I deem fit to judge the maps.December's Theme
: ApocalypseThat's right folks, the world is coming to an end with the close of 2006! Maybe the machines are rebelling due to a Y2K6 bug or Satan and the four horsemen are tearing up the world! There could be vehicles are raging about, everyone doing drugs one last time, the oceans are flooding over, super powers are destroying humanity, the last Christmas is being celebrated, robots are running amok, the forests have come to life, horror creatures like zombies are eating everyone, and dragons are ravaging the land! (good way to mix ideas from every contest) Let's just make sure I don't actually want the world to end after playing your map. Guidelines
» Must be an original map not made prior to the contest. Steal a map or send in an old one and I'll eat your children.
» No map dimensions larger than 128x128.
» No map over 500kb.
» Any number of players acceptable.
» No team projects.
» No modded maps (SCMLoader, etc).
» You may submit up to three different entries, but only the highest scoring entry will be placed and recieve a prize.
» No entry fees.
» Feel free to protect your map. The playing end is emphasized far more than the creation end. I usually only open up maps to make fun of them.DEADLINE: Maps are due at 12:01 AM, EST, on December 31st. Use the rest of that day for partying.Submitting...You may submit any amount of copies of a map, and the last valid one recieved will the one judged for the contest.
1. PM me the map as an attachment.
2. Attach the map to a post here (I download all attachments that seem like contest entries from this thread).
3. Attach the map to another post or topic and PM me the link or post a link here.
4. PM me a link to the map in the DLDB.
5. PM or post me a link to your map on some external host.
(no stupid bugs this time.)Judging CriteriaTheme
(10) - How well does the map fit the theme? Something premade with a few text changes (ie, your dragon map from last month which you didn't enter with "APOCALYPSE DRAGON" isn't a good idea). This is no longer a static black and white 0 or 10 rating, there will be a range. The map will now be graded on how important the theme is to the central ideas of the map. A map scoring 0 on this won't be graded further, regardless of how well it fits. Fun
(25) - Most of the time, the deciding factor in contest entries. Important for me as I'm playing the map. Am I running around having a good time, or watching a unit talk to itself in a movie? Are there huge bugs that prevent play of the maps? Are there cool new systems and spells and difficulty levels and such things to keep the game interesting? Replay value is a plus for this score. If I ever go to this map again, is it going to be to play it over and over and give to my friends or to delete the scm/scx?Aesthetics and Professionalism
(15) - Did you use one type of terrain tile and no text color? Are there mispellings distracting me at every turn with some poorly made triggers? Hopefully you can create something that looks and feels decent. I'm not asking for extensive extended terrain or hundreds of sprites, a map that seems well-made should score well. On the subject of professionalism, please PLAYTEST your maps before submission
. Nothing looks dumber than a map that obviously hasn't been tested. Having lots of bugs will definitely lower your score here.Prizes
Yeah, you thought I'd just make you do this for fun? Prestiege? Honor? HAH!First place
: 800 mineralsSecond place
: 400 mineralsThird place
: 200 mineralsFirst, Second, and Third place entries all go into the Map Spotlight on the front page.Noteworthy Mention*
: 100 minerals
*to be given at my discretion. Nobody has to win these.